Saturday, July 28, 2007

Drew-Boy























My oldest son turned seven this week. I can't seem to remember where the time as gone, but yet I feel as if I've always known him. I am so proud of the guy he is turning into and give much credit to his daddy for it. Here are just a few things that I love about my Drew:

  • His "gusto' - everything he does is with his whole heart! Sometimes this can be cause for disaster, but I know it is a quality to treasure!

  • His independent spirit - He has learned to master several things by this young age, and I know in part that this is due to his perseverance! You will not hear Drew say "I can't" very often! (This also causes us to watch him somewhat closely as his confidence can be very high!)


  • His willingness to work - Drew is not afraid of work and knows the feeling of a job well-done. He is a delight to teach as he works diligently and faithfully. Robb and I have said on different occasions that if we want something done right, we just ask Drew!



  • His easy and hearty laugh! Often he will laugh so hard, he will go into a slight asthma attack, but that doesn't stop him. We just better know where the inhaler is!



  • His questioning spirit - Drew takes nothing sitting down! There have been many days when teaching him that I have despaired as he has argued with the curriculum over what a bunch of bananas would really weigh, how long a ladder would be, or an inconsistency in a phonics rule. I constantly pray that we can channel this properly and I know that if we can, this will be a very positive thing for all of his life and will allow him to be a life-long learner. (By the way...his dad thinks this quality is highly amusing!)

  • His heart to serve God - Though we have had many hours of attempting to answer questions from the Bible that Drew (or we) don't understand, we have seen a very tender heart towards God and Drew has asked Jesus into his heart. His prayers are a delight to hear as he expresses himself to our Father.



We were camping on Drew's birthday and he was able to go fishing with just Robb for a few hours that day. We celebrated with homemade pizza, cake and a sleep-over when we got home. We count it a true privilege and honor to nurture this little man!







6 comments:

The Dickinsons said...

Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog! It was fun hearing from you!

Neat post about your son, he sounds like a precious child. Our children are sooo special, and they grow up so fast, we need to treasure this time with them, don't we?! =)

Hope all is well your way,
Love, Heather =)

Mary Ellen said...

Happy birthday to a little miniature version of your husband, I remember him well when he was that age and it's like stepping back in time to see those pictures.

He sounds like one cool kid and you guys are obviously doing a terrific job as parents!

SheilaDy said...

What sweet words for a sweet kid!

You and Robb are such great parents, and I know that God is pleased.

The picture of Drew on the rock fishing, is amazing. You must frame that one!

Tara said...

I loved this post so much, Julie. That "mother's" heart just came shining through. You and Robb have surely been blessed of God wtih your precious children, and it appears that His trust in you was well-placed.
Blessings!

jenny said...

Happy Birthday Drew-Boy!!!

Great words, Julie--well written and from the heart of a great mom.

The Dickinsons said...

Julie, Thanks for stopping by my blog! I hope that you enjoy that roll recipe, our family loves them. They are so quick, easy and yummy! =)

I trust that all is going well your way!

Yes, the baptism service and day was sooo neat, and we loved having God's presence crown the day too. Our church people are still talking about the neat day...they never get out of Bogota, so they LOVED the whole day! It was special that Phillip got to baptize our Kimberly here too!

Love, Heather =)