Wednesday, October 10, 2007

An Unexpected Blessing

Monday evening around 5:30, Robb called me and said that a friend had extra tickets to the "Casting Crowns" concert, set to start in 90 minutes. We quickly changed clothes, made arrangements for the kids, loaded up the baby, and headed out. We arrived a little late only to find that it was a "guy's night out" (Robb had missed that slight point in the conversation with his friend). But I think God had other plans; He wanted me to be there. The guys were gracious and it was a very worshipful evening. Every song they sang touched my heart. They really know how to write songs that speak to where "the rubber hits the road", so to speak, about a real walk of faith.

One song that seems to remind me of myself is entitled "Somewhere in the Middle". It talks about our walk with God and how we are not always the person we long to be, with the faith we want to have. Contradictions... and then the song ends by saying that God sees us where we are in our walk and loves us anyway. That's not to say that we shouldn't be striving to be more Christ-like, but we do need to remember that we are not the ones holding onto God, but rather, He is holding onto us.

Somewhere between my heart and my hands

Somewhere between my faith and my plans

Somewhere between the safety of the boat and the crashing waves

Somewhere between a whisper and a roar

Somewhere between the altar and the door

Somewhere between contented peace and always wanting more

Somewhere in the middle you’ll find me

Fearless warriors in a picket fence

Reckless abandon wrapped in common sense

Deep water faith in the shallow end and we are caught in the middle

With eyes wide open to the differences, The God we want and the God who is

But will we trade our dreams for His or are we caught in the middle

Just how close can I get, Lord, to my surrender without losing all control

Lord, I feel you in this place and I know you’re by my side

Loving me even on these nights when I’m caught in the middle.

2 comments:

jenny said...

Glad you all got to go to the concert--what a treat! How funny that it was a guy's night but that must have been kinda fun, too. The words are beautiful, I haven't heard it yet.

Unknown said...

Julie,
I jumped on your blog from Kara's but I had to jump in here and say how much I love that song too. In fact, I think that whole project has powerful lyrics. Casting Crowns leads the wroship in our church and Mark Hall is amazing to the students as their pastor. My son cannot wait to get home on Weds. to get to church! Another thing, I really appreciate about Casting Crowns is their dedication to being here on Sundays. Even though their tour lasts until December, they will not miss another Sunday here. I think that is awesome.
Great song!