Monday, July 7, 2008

Forty Weeks...

"I was convinced that the greatest lie of pregnancy was that morning sickness only happens in the mornings. I was wrong.

The greatest lie of pregnancy is that is takes nine months to grow a baby. The TRUTH is that is takes forty weeks-ten long months lived in a parallel universe where each day is as a thousand years.

God seems to have a particular affinity for the number forty. Was it not forty days and forty nights before God stopped the rain and Noah saw sunshine? Was it not forty long years before the Israelites made it out of the desert? And didn't Jesus spend forty hungry days in the desert Himself?

Perhaps it's just coincidence, but one thing is evident: God is not generally in any particular hurry when He's doing His finest work.

Maybe making us wait is His way of getting our attention, of helping us realize He's up to something serious. Maybe He just knows we need some time to grow into the blessing He has in store.

Forty weeks is a long time to wait for anything, particularly when one's ankles appear to be retaining all the waters of Noah's flood. But I've got a hunch, when the miracle finally shows up, it will be the first rainbow and the Promised Land all rolled up into one squirmy little bundle."

I can hardly wait!

By Carolyn Arends
"We've Been Waiting For You"

7 comments:

Making Memories 1999 said...

I hope these last few weeks go well for you!!

Mary Ellen said...

Well said!

Love the new picture at the top of your kids - I LOVE pictures of children laughing!

jenny said...

That's beautiful...we are so excited to welcome another girl into the family!!

I loved seeing your fourth--looked very productive and relaxing at the same time.

Kimberly said...

Blessings in this last little while...you look great!! And I loved the pics of your fam on the 4th! Thanks for missing me...isn't it great that we can connect in this way! It was good to get an update on your house...I've wondered about that. Hope your return to lesson-giving goes well..someday I should get some advice from you and try that myself. I've gotten requests but just haven't had the desire/nerve to get started. I'm sure you're really good at it.

cheriepasbjerg said...

Forty very long weeks aren't they, but it is funny how quickly you forget them. After being pregnant 20 out of 24 months, I hardly remember. Oh I pray for your safe delivery and comfort.
xoxoxo

Marty said...

Oh...to be 40 weeks!!! No...one week not pregnant would be nice. I might be able to catch up on a few things!!! Hope it goes fast and well for you...I can only imagine 6 kids...WOW! and I'm worried about #4!

Tara said...

Blessings on you in these final days! And you are looking marvelous, btw. I'm a sucker for those good side shot preggo pics, though! How 'bout indulging me?!