Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Here is our finished product...our wonderful, imperfect, "Charlie Brown" tree. The kids and Robb had a great time decorating while I added Christmas touches to other parts of the house...one great thing about this tree is the gorgeous smell! I really would not trade it for a perfect tree for that very reason!


It is always fun to add another stocking to the fireplace, but as I looked at the "bunch" we have, I felt a little overwhelmed to think that we have this many little ones to raise to be Godly people (as in "Are these kids really all ours?")! For some strange reason, it was a visual for me and reminded me of the awesome responsibility Robb and I have as parents of these 5 impressionable souls! Our small group has been talking about parenting lately and we have been reading Deut. chapters 6, 7, and 8 - God's principles for raising kids. I can definitely feel overwhelmed with this when I begin to fear and not trust in God's strength and begin to feel that I have to do it on my own. My prayer is that this Christmas season will be for me one of quiet (in my heart; certainly not in the house!) and focusing on the Christ who came to be one of us, to teach us how to live. Whew! I need His strength!

Changes in our house include Preston learning how to crawl. His little knees stay red these days and he is getting into things I forgot babies could get into. He is driving the kids crazy as he gets into all of their things. I told Lauren that all babies do this and that I would soon begin teaching him what he can not get into. She rather curtly replied, "Well, today would be a great day to start!" This made me laugh...there is nothing like parenting advice from a 10 year old! Tucker, on the other hand, loves to make him happy by giving him things that are not good for him. Add all of this with a mouth bulging with teeth to come in (one did pop through) and a double ear infection. Oh, the changes each stage brings! And now there are more of us to adjust!



May your December days be merry and bright!!

4 comments:

Mary Ellen said...

Lauren's comment made me laugh out loud, especially as I just heard my four year old calling from the other room..."Mommy Devin just hit me, can you please come out of the office and give him a spanking?" Discipline advice from our children - always amusing.

I think your tree looks great - do you fill those seven stockings!?!?! That would be a big job.

SheilaDy said...

Julie-
Your tree and decor is lovely! The smell of pine is what I miss about having a fake tree!
Thank you for sharing.
By the way, you and Robb are doing an amazing job of raising your brood! You are an inspiration to us!
We can pray for each other as parents. The job can seem overwhelming when you look at the whole of it, so around here, we try to take it in small portions.
Much love and admiration-
Sheila

julie f said...

Thanks, Sheila! Your comments mean a lot to us. It is insightful to look to the stage you are at (teen years) and see all the things you and Duane have done right. You are an encouragement!

BTW, we have your CD to return to you (thanks bunches) and Alex's gun! Hope to catch you at church Sunday.

Mary Ellen, your children sound so fun! Yes, we do fill those stockings...Santa does, anyway (we have one believer!)

jenny said...

I love those passages in Deuteronomy--what a great topic for small group. I also love the promise in Deuteronomy (and all through the Bible) where God covenants with Israel that "I will be your God and you will be my people." He makes us His. So simple but profound the story of redemption.

I echo Sheila...you guys are doing a wonderful job of parenting. Tom and I admire you so much and only wish we lived closer to learn more from you. God is using you to be great examples.

And on toddler disiplining...we have one that keeps climbing up on the table (and kitchen counter once) at 13 months!! I kept saying how do I child proof the table...only to realize I can't child proof I have to train the child. Brilliant deduction, huh?!