Thursday, August 30, 2007

Life's Interruptions

Some days I feel as if I really don't accomplish much. As I have been trying to school the kids at home for the last 2 weeks, it seems that, in spite of my good intentions, my lists, and my aim at being a woman of discipline, there is never quite enough completed at the end of the day. I have been thinking a lot about this and realizing and trying to accept that "life" happens in the midst of busy days. Then just yesterday, I was reading an article by Gloria Gaither that my mom had loaned me and it really spoke to me. She wrote on the subject of interruptions in our lives and what our perspectives should be. One of her statements is:
"I am coming to believe that God's will for my life is the interruptions".
Wow! That hit me hard...here I have been trying to avoid roadblocks to "progress". She went on to show that so many of Jesus' special moments and miracles here on earth were what we would consider interruptions:
  • the water to wine
  • the leper and blind men
  • the man brought thru the roof by his friends
  • the woman with the disease who touched Him
  • the children who came to sit on His lap

Planning and visualizing and organizing is all well and good, but my earnest prayer is that I am never so busy that I miss the opportunities and adventures that will come when I am open to them. After all, what else am I really here for?

I would love to hear your thoughts on this and how you have learned to embrace with joy God's alternate plan.

By the way, this is a picture of our smallest "interruption". We are so thankful for him!

(And I do have pictures to post of our time in Montana and will do so soon. )


8 comments:

Tara said...

Julie, I think you articulated this thought very well. I know exactly what you mean, and how you feel. Somewhere in it all, there has to be a balance. I know that I NEED to be more organized and scheduled, and I'm working on that; but I also know there is great value in blessings that are often hidden in the routine or the mundane. And I couldn't help but smile at the pic of your little interruption....we have one of those too! Aren't they amazing?

Blessings on you today.

SheilaDy said...

Julie,
Thank you for sharing this. I read that same article and was touched by it as well.

Duane and I have over and over been blessed through the "interruptions" in our lives.
We have had God take our plans and projects, and put those off to the side, because "His ways are better than our ways."
Have we always enjoyed the interruptions? No! But we find that if we will accept God's work, He will bring growth and abundant blessings through it.

Thanks again for sharing.
Much love,
Sheila

jenny said...

Really good thoughts here...I've been thinking about them all day because the truth of the matter is I don't handle interuptions real well--especially these days. I've always been a pretty flexible type of gal, but four kiddos later I've learned things work a whole lot better with a plan and some level of organization. So I've seen some not so good control issues that God has helped me identify and hopefully fully give back to Him. The number one thing I feel like He is (not was) teaching me is to "let it go" when it doesn't happen according to my well laid plans. The really neat thing is that when you follow the rabbit trail that is not at all how you pictured it, it usually leads to a beautiful place--even if it takes a while to realize it.

Thanks for sharing, it was good thinkin'...

Mary Ellen said...

What!?!? You mean with only five kids in the house you can't make everything happen the way it is supposed to in a day - how is that possible!?!? (all said with heavy sarcasm and a smile)

You my dear should pat yourself on the back every night if ANYTHING gets accomplished on any given day - I know how busy life is with my four young ones and can't even begin to imagine how much that would increase if I added a new baby plus homeschooling to the mix!!

If I were a betting woman (and I'm not) I would bet you get a whole lot accomplished each and every day, the rest will all fall into place eventually. "-)

Kimberly said...

Good thoughts, Julie! As a fellow Gloria fan:), I had also read that article, and found it thought provoking. I find that my "well-laid" lists and plans are usually about me..not all bad, to be sure...but sometimes they leave out the possibilty of connecting with others and sometimes completely miss the point of what I really should be "busy" doing. I deal daily with a huge life interruption..and remain grateful that even in the worst life throws our way, God is able to redeem the pain, mature our faith, and use the interruption for His glory.

Cara said...

Hey Julie,

Wow! I feel your pain! =) I was just complaining to Jamey yesterday because I was sick of being interrupted. That was my excuse for not making a "to do" list! It is better to not plan, than to plan and have your plans interrupted! Well, I guess you could go overboard with that! Anyway, I am struggling with the same issues--especially with Karis. I love teaching Cam and am not happy with my 15th month old who wants my attention right in the middle of a lesson. Can we say flexibility?? Thanks for the great thoughts!

cheriepasbjerg said...

HOME SCHOOLING!!! What a job in itself. Are you wonder woman? You are absolutely fantastic!!
xoxo

Marty said...

Thank you so much for sharing this thought....I am so with you! I am dealing with an 18month old who wants attention while I'm doing school with Steven. Thank you for helping me seize the moments!